Thursday, February 25, 2010

Blankets of Love

One year the kids and I read about a program called Blanket of Love. It was a non-profit organization that collected gently used blankets and shipped them to Sudan. Hundreds of thousands of blankets have made it into the arms of many who had nothing but a thin rag to cover themselves at night. My children almost instantly began gathering all the blankets that were not in use at that exact moment. I was worried that maybe we would give too many, that we may need some of those blankets for ourselves. When my children reminded me that each of our beds no only had a sheet, a blanket and a comforter, I realized they really were showing compassion. My eyes flooded with tears as we boxed up a huge box of blankets that will still in very good shape and kept the older ones for ourselves. Their idea, not mine. They were not going to wait even one day. It was off to the post office with our huge box of blankets. It was such a small price to pay to send these blankets to a U.S address where they would bag them up to be airlifted.
It's been four years and we still have more blankets then we use. While I'm not sure if Blankets of Love is still in operation, I know my local shelter could benefit from the donation as well.

No comments: