Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sympathy and Social Media

Recently while watching a movie with my family I glanced over facebook on my blackberry. It was at that moment that I saw a post that choked me up. A friend of mine had passed away suddenly the night before. Shocked I ran to the computer and pulled up facebook and her profile to see if this was a joke or true. What I found was touching. She had indeed passed away but the expressions of all her friends as they posted on her wall with memories and prayers was comforting. Her facebook page had become an online memorial service. Friends comforting each other with sweet stories, posts to her saying how much they will miss her. Pictures shared by her friends and family so that all could witness her life. Prayers and comforting words for the family she left behind and a sense of being able to say goodbye.
While I'm not sure facebook is the way I want to find out when someone has died, this social media outlet has had a healing effect for her family as well as for her friends. I've appreciated all the posts and pictures, songs and poems people have shared. Today I will attend her Memorial Service, something a week ago I would not have even considered. I feel prepared to walk in knowing that there are so many people who loved her.

Holly Davis was 35 years old when she passed away. She will be missed.

No comments: