Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Helping out a neighbor


We are blessed to live next to some elderly neighbors. I say blessed because it gives my children and I many opportunities throughout the year to show kindness and to give of ourselves. We have enjoyed taking meals to our elderly neighbors, giving Christmas home baked goodies, running errands, picking up garbage, trimming bushes and shoveling side walks.
I'm am always thinking of ways to get involved with the community and give my children the opportunity to serve. However, it is not always easy to find a good fit in the sense of time commitment, or abilities. It didn't take long for us to realize we could make a difference on our own street and bring joy into someones life. Having my children work right along with me, or even offering of themselves has taught them many lessons in humility. Not only have we been so blessed to serve our neighbors, but it always catches on and soon you see other neighbors going above and beyond for each other. It's not a competition, but I believe a good way to live. We look out for each other, we help each other, and sometimes we meet in the middle to do a good deed.
This year, look around your neighborhood and see what you can do to make a difference.

No comments: