Monday, November 16, 2009

Compassion In Every Day Life


On this blog, I like to feature stories of selfless giving, sympathy towards others and incredible acts of kindness. Today, I thought I would take a step back and look for acts of compassion in my own life. Has there been any instances of selflessness shown to me that never made the headlines or pages of a magazine? There was one instance that came to my mind right away. Six months after I got engaged to my husband, he was laid off from his job. The wedding date was very close and plans were already made with the caterer, florist, etc. We made a tough decision to postpone the wedding until things were better for us financially. As I told a good friend the news, she was very saddened. The next day she presented an invitation to me. As I opened it, I was in shock. It was an invitation to my wedding! She had volunteered to plan, organize and host my wedding in her large backyard. Her husband built a deck for the wedding party stage. She aranged for all of our close friends to bring a dish so we did not have to pay a caterer. Her husband video taped the entire wedding free of charge for us. She made beautiful decorations and made sure my wedding day was all that I had dreamed. When I think of my wedding day, I treasure the compassion and kindness my friend showed me that day. Let us know if you have been shown selfless compassion by someone during a difficult time. We would love to hear how you have been helped by others.

4 comments:

Tony said...

Wow that sounds similiar to my experience. When my wife had our second daughter we decided that her working and sending our daughter to a daycare was not an option. Things were tight and we didnt know if we were going to make it. But then a close friend to the family who had just started a business let my wife help out with some computer work right from the house. She didnt need to do this but she knew we needed the extra money. By letting my wife work from home and still be able to take care of my daughters our family was truly blessed. I guess good things come to good people because now that little company that our close friend started is now a multi million dollar corporation. We will always love and appreciate what our close friend Linda did for us.

Nora Keilpesy said...

When you have a friend like that, a real, true friend, they are a blessing. Just reading that made me start to tear up. But you were right, yes it is great what happens in the magazines and in the newspapers, but we should pay attention to the people who don't get recognition. Great post by the way. Thanks...

Ginny B said...

Truly touching. Makes me want to look for those opportunities to bless others. Thank you for sharing this inspirational story.

Mrs. L. said...

What a beautiful story. Some people were just born to be blessings to others.